- Active Emergency
- January 2005 -Present
- United States and Territories
When Disaster Strikes Here at Home...
our emergency response team mobilizes immediately, reaching out to free clinics and health centers in our network of over 1,000 safety net partner facilities to deliver the right aid to survivors in urgent need. But we don’t stop there; we follow up with field visits and ongoing recovery assistance for communities in crisis. From Hurricane Sandy, to Hurricane Katrina, to the Joplin tornado, to the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Americares has been on the scene, delivering crucial help, reducing human suffering, and helping communities recover.
"Americares has been a blessing to us. Kate has worked tirelessly to assist us in getting vaccines and everything we need to provide medical assistance to victims, responders, and volunteers. Kudos to Kate and the Americares staff! Also—providers on-call don’t have anything on Americares because they are always available when needed!”
Responding to the Need
The first 48 hours of an emergency are the most critical. We strategically pre-position emergency relief supplies at partner clinics in disaster-prone areas across the U.S. so we are ready to respond at a moment’s notice with shipments of emergency aid to fill urgent healthcare gaps, including:
- Chronic care medicines for survivors suffering from diabetes, heart disease and asthma
- Tetanus vaccines
- First aid medicines and supplies
- Family emergency kits and clean-up kits: for the displaced including personal care items and cleaning supplies
- Bottled water for first responders and survivors without access to safe drinking water.
The response to a huge disaster helped Americares to build a strong network of health partners throughout the country.
Road to Recovery
We provide ongoing recovery assistance for disaster survivors, when needed, in three areas:
- Restoring health care services
- Providing mental health support
- Enhancing disaster preparedness
The strength of our partners at the community level allows us to respond quickly with targeted aid where it is most needed.